The Fall 2021 Meeting of the New England Chapter of the American Musicological Society will take place virtually on Saturday, October 2nd, hosted by the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
If you plan to participate in this virtual meeting, please register (for free) in advance at this link.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Chapter meeting on October 2, 2021 (including the Zoom link for the meeting).
(Full program with abstracts and bios as provided as of 9/18 available here as a pdf).
All times listed below are EDT.
10:15 - 10:30 AM Welcoming Remarks
10:30 - 12:00 PM MORNING SESSION
- "For Your Eyes Only? Optical Illusion and Offstage Music in Nineteenth-Century Europe" - Feng-Shu Lee (National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University)
- "Kaija Saariaho's L'amour de loin as Modern Symbolist Opera" - Madison Spahn
- "Stockhausen's Weltmusik at the Crossroads of Serialism and Postwar Utopianism" - Mylène Gioffredo (Université de Lorraine, CRULH)
12:00 PM - 1:15 PM Lunch break (with virtual socializing/networking options)
1:15 PM- 1:30 PM Chapter Business Meeting
1:30 - 3:30 PM AFTERNOON SESSION
- "A Musical Diary: Amy Beach's Art Song Corpus" - Megan Lyons (University of Connecticut)
- "Bess Disembodied: Re-sounding Black Womanhood in Porgy and Bess" - Annie Kim (Brown University)
- "'Memory's Atlas': Utopian Longing and Musical Representation of Dementia in John Mackey's 'Places We Can No Longer Go'" - Chris Ramos (The Hartt School, University of Hartford)
- "Public Practice: TwoSet Violin and Classical Music's Digital Turn" - Leo Sarbanes (Harvard University)